Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Uncle Sherwin's 40th

My brother-in-law turned 40 a couple weeks ago.  My sister looked into several venues to host the event, but in the end, they went with a house party.  It's seriously so much easier now that everyone has kids.  She did cut herself some slack by having the food catered.  She found a neighborhood Mexican restaurant that also does catering, and went with that.  It was really, really good food.  They dropped everything off, we put some things in bowls and on platters for appetizers, and it was good to go.


The day before, my mom and I went over, with what we could pick from our combined yards, plus some grocery store flowers my sister picked up at Trader Joe's, and did all the bouquets.  My sister made a vat of margaritas, got a keg, wine, and fun non-alcoholic Mexican sodas. She found some festive decorations for outside and we had beautiful weather for the occasion.

Here's what everything looked like, all set up before the herds.


They hauled the bar that my BIL made up out of the basement and put it on the patio, then borrowed a couple stools from a neighbor for extra seating.


If all the pillows look familiar, it's because they're from my backyard.  :)



Sampling the lemonade.


There were flowers on every flat surface, inside and out.










The bar area.




I did write, margaritas, on the jug after taking the pictures, so we didn't have a bunch of drunk children.











The non-alcoholic station was around the corner with soda, lemonade, and water.







There was an insane amount of  food.
As usual.
I've never seen so much guacamole in my life.
Fresh tortilla chips, two different kinds of salsa, pica de gallo, veggies with a sesame dip that was delicious, chicken skewers, a vat of shrimp ceviche, tamales, empanadas, beans, rice, corn, pickled onions, pulled pork, tortillas, and salad.
These pictures represent a small portion of the amount of food.
So.  Much.  Food.











This salad was delicious.
It was mixed greens with paper thin slices of jicama, pink grapefruit wedges, and crispy sweet potato strings up on top.
So good.









After everyone ate themselves sick, it was time for birthday cake.
Tres Leche from Pambiche, one of Portland's best restaurants, I might add.
I lived a block away when they first opened.  
I think I was 20 years old.  Egad.



Singing Happy Birthday, with all the kids anxiously waiting.











I won't bore you with too many, but I've gotta throw in a couple random people photos.





We had a sleep over  :) and ate leftovers for brunch the next day.
Then drank all afternoon and ate leftovers again for dinner.  
Hahahaha.
When I took the pictures off my camera, I found the inevitable random ones that always show up when I set my camera down at their house.
Nothing too incriminating this time.




And yes, I wore my jammie pants all day long that second day, and then wore them home that night.
Ha!
Happy Birthday, Uncle Sherwin!
You've officially hit 40 before me.  ;o)



6 comments:

  1. I love how your family celebrates everyone's birthday together! That's awesome. We usually don't do parties for the adults in our family. Also my husband and I don't have siblings with kids, so my kids don't have lots of cousins, which makes me sad because I had 26 cousins when I was growing up. We're you wearing a dress? Now why didn't you show us a picture of you all dressed up 😝.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your family celebrates everyone's birthday together! That's awesome. We usually don't do parties for the adults in our family. Also my husband and I don't have siblings with kids, so my kids don't have lots of cousins, which makes me sad because I had 26 cousins when I was growing up. We're you wearing a dress? Now why didn't you show us a picture of you all dressed up 😝.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! A very happy birthday to him! Everything looked beautiful as usual and the food!!!! Man you guys eat like us! Always a ton of food....means you guys are good peeps!!! The flowers my friend are stunning! As is the whole setting! You girls did an amazing job!! And the sleepover hitting it the next day made me laugh out loud! Life is good!!! Have a great almost weekend lady! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that your sister had this all catered. That food looks so good. And seriously, kids just care about the cake. They don't really care about whose birthday it is. They just want to stuff their mouths full of cake. It is so funny. I love their covered back porch too... mine is my new favorite thing in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a party . . . so well planned and decorated. I love all of the ideas that you've given me for the next family gathering that we have. Your family really knows how to celebrate LIFE, Mindy . . . the best gift of all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherwin's party looks and sounds like it was a blast!
    The food looked delicious! I LOVE Mexican food :0)
    And the decorations were so bright and cheery. Of course, I love the flowers . . . and the banner garland and strung lights were a festive addition. Parties are a lot of work, but SO MUCH fun! And you folks did it up right - by making it a long weekend celebration with a sleepover and next day festivities :0)
    So happy you shared!
    I hope you're having a great weekend!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover