Monday, October 20, 2014

Pineapple Sage

You wouldn't think there'd be anything new blooming this time of year.  That's one of the reasons I love this plant so much.


Not only does it have pretty foliage, it's a fast growing annual, smells amazingly good, it's edible, and then, as an added bonus, it starts blooming in October.
It's a perfect plant, in my opinion.


Pineapple Sage
Salvia elegans
You'll find it for sale in the spring, poked in with the other herbs.
You can pick one up for less than three dollars.
Worth every penny.


I've planted one down in the parking strip every year since taking the sod out.
This year, I decided to try it in the gaping hole where we took the rhody out.
I'd like to say I planned it this way, but it was a happy accident that I can see the hummingbird eating out of it every time I'm at the kitchen sink.
I knew they loved the flowers, but planting it somewhere that I could see them from inside the house never even dawned on me.
Again, happy accident.

Here it is in all its glory:





The 'Wasabi' Coleus, 'Snow Nymph' Salvia, and 'Party Time' Alteranthera planted among it, are all still goin' strong.



I love the buds as much as the flowers.
Maybe even more.



The pink fan flower in the window box is still blooming really well, too.







I'm all kinds of in love with this plant.
Have you grown it?  Are you as smitten as I am?


Shameless plug alert:  
Just a little reminder that you can purchase my floral photographs in my Etsy shop.
If you see one in a post that isn't in the shop, shoot me an email and I'd be more than happy to list it for ya.
The Dad will thank you for helping to support my plant addiction.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RindyMae

Please see my sidebar for the parties I link up to.

3 comments:

  1. Love it love it love it. I had one that overwintered for three years, now starting over but that's ok, as you say worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted one in the garden at school three years ago and that sucker comes back every year. And it always blooms before my new ones. They must have a little micro climate over there. :)

      Delete
  2. It is a beauty for sure. Mine did horribly this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover