Thursday, March 14, 2013

Texas Chili


This is the best chili you will ever eat.  Maybe I shouldn't say that.  People get competitive when it comes to chili.  But seriously, this is the only recipe I ever make.  It's the best.  I originally got the recipe from my mom, so it's been around for years now.  And once you make it, you'll never use another chili recipe again.  I know there's at least one of you out there who just said, "Them's fightin' words", under your breath.



Here's the recipe with my notes:

Texas Chili
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1/4 C veggie oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 lg yellow onions, chopped (about 6 cups)
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes (you can get away with less if need be)
1/2 C chili powder
1 12oz can beer
1 tsp cumin
3 dashes tobasco
1 7oz can diced green chilies
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 C water
2 15oz cans pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and Pepper to taste

Optional condiments:

Sliced jalapenos, diced onion, green onion, cilantro, sour cream, Fritos, shredded cheese, salsa, hot sauce 

Directions:

Toss meat with chili powder and brown in oil over medium-high heat.  
You'll need to do this in batches so you don't crowd the pan.



Remove and set aside.
Deglaze pan with beer.
 
Meanwhile, heat more oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
Add green pepper, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and celery.
Cook just until softened, about 7 minutes.

Add meat and beer to veggies.
Add everything else, EXCEPT BEANS, and cook uncovered for 2 hours, adding more water if it gets too thick.

Add beans during the last 1/2 hour of cooking.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve topped with optional condiments.
And when I say optional, I mean you MUST use the Fritos, if nothing else.

Here's dinner in my bowl:







Best damn chili this side of Texas.  :o)


9 comments:

  1. That looks good, Mindy. Much better than the chili that comes in a package from McCormicks that you sprinkle over the browned hamburger- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do get goofy with chili! I am pinning this...I usually make a veggie chili so this will be a nice change around these parts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should be a sin to eat it without Fritos. It's almost midnight, and now you have me craving chili.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for a good chili recipe so thank you for sharing yours! Us Aussies aren't very good at this so I love any help I can get!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think chili is one of those things that has a bazillion versions...and you're right, people are ready to get up in your grill about the one they like best. Your version looks delicious! My mom's recipe is my favorite (of course) but some people eat it and say, "this is too sweet" because of all the brown sugar in it. I love them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chili may in fact be more controversial than politics and religion. I am game to try anything, though I am a bit of a sissy about heat. lol In our family, we used ground beef and I have never had a chili with chunks of meat before. Isn't that funny. Your version sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EXCUSE ME...while I fall in love.
    WOW, this looks and sounds sooo good. We love
    chili and this recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm... made the Chili yesterday for my daughter's "gender reveal" party - the chili was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Thank you so much for the feedback! It's one of our favorite meals, for sure.

      Delete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover