Tuesday, July 12, 2011

French Toast Strata With Fresh Berries

The picture sold me on this one.  It was in the April issue of Ladies' Home Journal.  I'm all over a breakfast that I can prep the day before.  The recipe calls for raspberries, but we picked up some blackberries and blueberries at the farmer's market on Sunday, so that's what I used.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

French Toast Strata With Raspberries

5 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 C milk (I didn't have enough regular milk, so I added some heavy cream and buttermilk)
7 Tbsp granulated sugar (divided, don't be like me and dump all 7 into the egg mix)
5 oz cream cheese
Butter for dish
15 oz loaf of brioche or challah, thinly sliced and quartered (I have to make a special trip to get either one of these breads, so I used a round loaf of sourdough that I had on hand)
2 pints of raspberries (I used half blueberries and half blackberries - not quite 2 pints)
Confectioners' sugar

Add eggs, milk and 4 Tbsp sugar to a bowl or deep dish.


Whisk to combine.


In another bowl, combine cream cheese with 1 Tbsp sugar.


Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.

Quickly dip half of the bread slices into the egg mixture and arrange them in a slightly overlapping layer on the bottom of the dish.


Top with bits of half the cream cheese and half the berries.




Repeat with remaining bread, cream cheese and berries.

Pour remaining egg mixture over the top and sprinkle entire dish with 2 Tbsp sugar.




Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

Heat oven to 350.
Remove plastic wrap and bake strata until eggs are set and top is golden brown, about 55 minutes.
Cover with foil if top gets too brown.
(I did this about 30 minutes in)
Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm or at room temp.



Here's breakfast on my plate:





Wipe the drool off your face and get in the kitchen.
This can be yours tomorrow morning.




8 comments:

  1. This is popping out at me and I need a taste! This looks pretty dangerous though..bc its one of those treats where I would end up eating the whole damn thing myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing. If I weren't a cow right now, I'd be trying this tomorrow, lol. I'm keeping it on file for Easter brunch or when I get down to my ideal weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rindy, what a fabulous french toast recipe! I'm saving it! Now following you and inviting you to share this recipe over on my weekend blog hop where I feature 8 or more bloggers each week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is still one more day to link up BLUEBERRY recipes to our linky party and I LOVE your blueberry recipe! We hope you can stop by before Midnight tomorrow and link up! THANKS SO MUCH! :-)

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/07/this-weeks-cravings-37-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing!! And since we love it so much, it's being featured tomorrow for our {{What I Made Wednesday}} linky party! Thanks for linking up last week!

    Briana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw you on link party, looks so yummy! Now following you via google and pinterest, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this looks so delicious!!
    Thank you for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover